Last week I had the chance to participate, along with two other Mexican artists, in the Scuola de Graffito Polistrato in Montemurro, Italy. Each artist had to create a piece that measured 1.70 by 1.20 m, with the special technique developed in this beautiful italian region by artist Giusseppe Leone.
Here is a description of the technical process we followed to create a Graffito Polistrato.
Thanks a lot to the Scuola del Graffito di Montemurro for inviting us to participate in this project and for the kindness of all the staff who helped us during our work.
1. The first days in Montemurro we were making tests on the wall to understand the basics of the Graffito Polistrato technique.
2. The process starts here: Master Vincenzo (technical staff of the Scuola del Graffito de Montemurro) pouring cement on a frame to create the base of the Graffito.
3. Four strong ragazzi lift the super heavy frames and set it vertically so we can start to work. Tomorrow I will continue describing the next steps, lot of fun to come!!
4. The surface has to be perfectly even. Then we leave it one night covered with plastic to maintain it humid and fresh. From now on this is going to be our canvas. 🙂 Very exciting!
5. Now we have to choose the colors we want to use. Gerry (one of the artists) is pointing at a nice magenta that he might use. We also have to decide in which order we want it, because the colors will be applied as layers, one after the other on the cement surface.
6. I choose to work with this colors: Yellow, Red, Blue, Green and Black. In this order.
7. Time for color! Here is Vincenzo mixing the sand with the pigment to get a fabulous Rouge !
8. And here a wonderful blue, like the sky was that day. It almost look like when you are making a smoothie or ice cream with the mixer.
9. Ok now we are talking! This becomes a color party. Vincenzo applies a nice layer, but before to apply the next one we have to wait a couple of hours for it to dry. The preparation is slow. It takes is two days to get ready. Meanwhile we work on paper doing sketches and also making test on the wall outside of the school.
10. Gerry and Carlos are also working with Vincenzo in the preparation of their pieces.